Anyways, Alex graciously volunteered me to blog about the recent happenings in our life and boy has it been hectic! Take last week for example. I had 4 midterms, 3 papers, and 4 quizzes. Alex also had a couple of midterms and quizzes, as well as work. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let me start from what I have not blogged about yet.
I realized that I have not blogged since my birthday, February 23. So I must fill everyone in on the details. I had the most wonderful 20th birthday! I had to take an Anatomy lab midterm, which was a bummer, but overall the day was great. I was done with class that day at 5pm, which is when Alex is done work. He had to finish up some last minute things for a paper and so I scurried home. To my surprise, Alex had gotten one of our friends to set up a cute display of gifts since Alex had been on campus all day. This is what it looked like as I walked into the door;
I just loved the balloons, flowers, chocolates, and the stuffed animal puppy dressed up as a bunny! Too cute. My handsome hubby then spoiled me even more as he had made reservations for the Foundry Grill up at Sundance. The food was DELICIOUS!!! Like heaven in your mouth...seriously. I then went for a little birthday shopping trip and got a skirt and a scarf. I finished off my perfect birthday by watching a crappy teen movie. It was for old times sake, as I am officially no longer in my "teen" years.
The next day I definitely felt old as I had a doctor's appointment scheduled. For the past year I have been having really bad acid reflux and sometimes when I have eat it feels like the food is stuck in my esophagus. To say the least, it isn't a pleasant feeling. My Dad had problems of a similar nature a couple of years back and had to get surgery. So after being fed up with masking the pain by taking medicines, I went to the doctor in search of greater light and knowledge on my condition in the hopes that I could maybe head off this thing in case I were to end up on a surgery bed like my Dad had to do. My answer from the doctor-endoscopy. For those who don't know what endoscopy is, let me share a brief explanation. Basically, they stick a camera down your throat while you are under anesthesia, pump air into your tummy and check how things are doing in there. This procedure lasts about 10minutes, and afterwards you are totally out of it!
I got this procedure done on Thursday, the 25th, and my gracious husband worked his schedule out so he could come pick me up from the hopsital. Unfortunately for him however, that day he had bundled up due to the cold weather and the hospital was fairly warm. A couple of minutes after I came to, he began to feel overheated and fainted! Right in the hopsital! The nurses rushed to his attention, leaving me to die. Not really, but because I had no idea really what was going on due to the sedatives that were still in my system, I thought the nurses had abandoned me. I soon began to realize that something was wrong with my husband and the nurses said he had fainted! Poor guy. However, he soon recovered and they brought him a bed as well. I must say it was quite romantic being next to each other in hopsital beds. haha!
The picture below is what they saw in my esophagus. NOTE: If you get queasy easily, then scroll down really quick as not to see it. While they were poking around in my stomach they saw white plaque buildups and a totally inflamed esophagus, so they took a biopsy to better diagnose. Turns out that I have Eosinophil Esophagitis. This means that I have some sort of reaction to food and eosinophils, which are white blood cells, are trying to respond to the allergen. So I am on some sort of concoction that will help the inflammation go down and then on April 30 I go back to the doctor for a follow-up. They also mentioned that I have a slight hiatus hernia, which is what my Dad has. While it is of no concern now, it could be later on so I have to watch for that.
Here is the icky/cool (depending on your preference) picture of my esophagus;

Also I have been to the doctor for my thyroid, which is a new problem that was noticed by a doctor noting that I had quite a large thyroid. I brought this up to my primary doctor and he said that we should check it out. I got an ultrasound done as well as my blood drawn to check for TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone) levels. From the ultrasound they found that I have 3 cysts, the largest one being 4.8mm. They also discovered that my TSH levels are only 0.02 off from me being considered to have Hyperthyroidism.
So, I just went to the doctor again today and they are referring me to an Endocrinologist. The doctor said that in the thyroid more cysts means that it is less likely that the cysts are cancerous (which is opposite to most other parts of the body where more cysts means concern), but he referred me to an Endocrinologist so that way they can check it out and decide if they want to biopsy the cysts. Also, I got my blood drawn again today to see how my TSH levels are and compare to see if they fluctuate. So I feel old, as my body is beginning to fall apart! Haha not really, and I am truly grateful for all the health that I do have. These are just little roadbumps!
Anyways, enough of depressing subject matter. Let's talk about the fun stuff in life right now!
Alex is amazing and has started volunteering with the Special Olympics program here in Utah. He is on the Administrative committee and goes to meetings every Thursday night. I have had the opportunity to go with him to one of the athlete practices and it is such a special place. Those with mental and physical challenges are so sweet, caring, and sensitive. I just about cried seeing the innocence of their practicing. For them it is not about winning at the Special Olympics, but making friends and just plain 'ol having fun. I wish I could be even half the people that they are.
Alex is also doing psychology research on Tuesdays to get in some clinical research time. A couple of Saturdays ago he volunteered us to participate in a study which is similar to what he does. We got EEG's done which monitor brain activity. The net for me was uncomfortable and made me a tad bit grumpy! However, we were soon done and used the money we received as reimbursement for the use of our brains to go out to dinner.
Last weekend Momma Janeen flew out from Kansas to visit the family and Grandma Jacobs, whose health is beginning to falter. It was such a fun-filled weekend and was great to be with family! Now, we are anticipating the next family visit from my parents and sister who are coming down from Canada at the beginning of April. They are coming for General Conference, as well as to get together with the rest of the Sheen Family to send off my Grandparents, who are going to Stockholm, Sweden on a LDS mission for one and a half years! It is very exciting!
Another exciting thing is that I got a scholarship for Spring semester here at BYU. I am taking Statistics 221, as well as an SFL course which goes towards my minor. SFL stands for the "School of Family Life." The course I am taking is on Infant Development and I am super excited for it!!
Last week was horrible, as I mentioned in the beginning. So horrible, that I am not even going to acknowledge it by giving it a significant place in this post. All I am mentioning is that it was CRAZY hectic and stressful, and I am sure glad that it is OVER!
Anyways, I think that about does it. Unfortunately life is sometimes busy and I apologize for long blog posts which yourself, the reader, has to trudge through.
We love you all,
-The Aggens
P.S. if you have not already seen our famous faces on BYU-TV, here is the link to the commercial that we were in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGVfjtKsI0U
P.P.S. The other night we made home-made onion rings. Don't they look delicious???
No comments:
Post a Comment