![]() | ||||
| Window Rock, AZ; a group of us at the rodeo; Navajo burger; jewelry from the Flea Market |
In nursing school there is a adage that our professors constantly tell us; keep theory and practice separate. This saying is usually said in conjunction with test questions as what we read in our textbooks or learn in lecture is often completely different than what we actually experience in the hospital. I feel though that this saying has played a role in my experience in the Navajo Nation over the past few days. I had theorized in my mind what I expected to occur while I was here. In reality it has been much different. The hospital has very few patients and a lot of staff, which was surprising to me, so I feel like I am sitting around more than I would like to and that causes me go stir-crazy. I have definitely realized that being constantly busy is something that I will be looking for as I apply for jobs in the future! Also, sometimes I feel like I am not having the opportunity to independently perform tasks associated with my level of knowledge and skill that I have (performing assessments and administering medications), while other times I completely flub up something that should be second-nature by now (like inserting IV's).
But despite these things I am still enjoying myself and learning how to change my perspectives and expectations. The moment I realized that I needed to do this was when there was a particularly frustrating moment at the hospital. I was doing my rotation in the ER for the day and had already missed 2 IV's and was completely embarrassed. I mean, I am about to graduate for heavens sake! My nurse, who was wonderfully patient and kind, told me that we were to do another IV insertion and suggested I try it again. As I began nervously prepping the supplies the thought came to pray for help so that is what I did. I silently prayed in my mind that I would be able to remember the technique correctly and feel at peace. I was able to successfully insert the IV. This tender mercy was a huge turning point for me. I realized that I do not have to do everything on my own. I can turn to my Heavenly Father for help in all my endeavors, even nursing related ones. This really impacted me to further recognize that I have a wonderful opportunity here in the Navajo Nation to personally learn and grow. I just need to be willing to accept that this experience may not be as perfect as I had previously idealized it was going to be, but with the Lord's help I can begin to recognize situations that are before me and make the best of whatever they are. Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts right now :)
Here are some more of the activities we have done outside of clinicals at the hospital which have been keeping me busy:
- Having a presentation from the Native Healers at the hospital in which they shared with us what they did-it was very interesting!
- Attending a rodeo. The exciting moment of the night was seeing a man get bucked off a horse and then subsequently being stepped on about 10 times. Kind of scary, but luckily he was alright.
- Participating in a service project where we picked up garbage along a mile long stretch of highway
- Going to Window Rock, AZ and then Gallup, NM. We got to see the actual "Window Rock" (see pictures above) and the Code-Talker memorial. We also went to Flea Markets and I bought some jewelry. I had my first Navajo Burger as well, which is basically the same as a regular burger except instead of buns they use Fry Bread!
- Homework. Writing papers, working on projects, assignments.
Well, that's all for now. Keep checking back for more updates!
-Tabi

What a great thing to realize that you can pray for help with anything -- I know I need to pray in times like that more than I do. Almost nobody can ever draw my blood or give me an IV on the first try (and sometimes it has taken 6 or 7 tries; I have crazy small, rolling veins) so I think I have personally prompted a number of healthcare professionals to pray more fervently!
ReplyDelete