June 18, 2014

5K Training


I signed up to do a 5K this summer, and race day is quickly approaching. Training has been going great, and I am really glad I decided to do this (so far...we'll see how I feel after the race!) I've been wanting to do a 5K for a while but finally went for it when I was researching things to do this summer in Kansas and saw that there was a race in the city we are in. I also came across this information at about 11pm, and decided to sleep on it to see if it still sounded like a good idea the next day! It did and so I decided to register. Now, I am not an athletic person. I was the nerdy asthmatic girl that rejoiced when Phys. Ed. was no longer a required course beyond 10th grade and I could take band and calculus instead :) So I consulted on social media, Pinterest, talked with friends, and found a program that worked with my life and seemed doable. I am using the 'Couch to 5K' training which is a combination of walking and running, and you slowly increase your running time until you are only running on your training days. The picture above is about two weeks old and now I am solely jogging and it is going great! I am no longer exhausted after running, and am getting close to that 3 mile mark. For the next two weeks my goal is to focus more on distance rather than the time run. Also, lucky for me there are many great trails nearby (with lots of hills which I love/hate), and since it has been getting so hot during the day Alex has been awesomely supportive and keeps a listening ear on the baby monitor while I go running once Addie is asleep so I don't take her out in the heat. I'll have to do another post after the 5K is done and let you all know how the experience went!!

And just for fun, I thought I'd include my set list of music that I run to. I am definitely a firm believer that  listening to music makes exercise fun and keeps you motivated when you feel like your legs are about to fall off!

Warm-Up: Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic 
(The only reason why I use this song to warm up is that it is 5 minutes, but can we all just agree that it gets old pretty quick?)
Girls Chase Boys - Ingrid Michaelson (nice and slow to start)
Good Riddance - Green Day
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
Empire State of Mind (clean version)- JAY Z & Alicia Keys 
Hey Ya - OutKast 
(I hear that this is the perfect running song as it has the magic number of beats per minute that correlate with a natural runnning step yaddayaddayadda...)
Always Be - Jimmy Eat World 
Brave - Sara Barielles
Fire - Ingrid Michaelson




No comments:

Post a Comment