March 21, 2011

A VERY Belated Bloggity Birthday

This is so very late. But nevertheless in an attempt to document the special happenings in our lives this blog beckons me to at least post some pictures of the day I turned 21. . .which was almost a month ago. My thoughts on the matter is that 21 really doesn't feel any more special than any other birthday. I know that it is magical birthday when one "officially" becomes an adult, but it still doesn't change the fact that some days I feel like a very tired forty-something woman who has spent her day rushing around trying to balance schedules and others a four year old hyped up on FunDip and soda pop for the first time and it's the day to take the annual family picture.

Much to my chagrin, Alex was teasing me around the time of my birthday since I had apparently been telling him and apparently others that I was 21 many weeks long before I actually was. Apparently. I will neither confirm or deny this but I will say that I can't help that if someone asks me how old I am a few weeks before my birthday and to be fair to them I would rather tell them my upcoming age rather than my current one. How awkward is it when someone's like "Oh hey you're 20 right? At least that's what you said 2 weeks ago." And then you would have to say "Oh, jokes on you because I am now 21 as of, ummmm yesterday." And then there is the awkward exchanging of happy birthday most likely just because the other person feels obligated, and then you say thanks and then it awkward again. You know? Anyways in Alex's view this was considered lying about my age, and so on the actual day of my birthday he kept wishing me an "official" happy 21st birthday. :)

It was a great day though, although it was a bummer that I actually had to go to class on my birthday. Growing up in Canada, my birthday fell a week that we got off school, so the only time I had class on my birthday was in 8th grade just because my birthday fell on a Monday and the time off from school had been the week earlier instead. I loved/resented not having school on my birthday. Loved that I could be lazy and go shopping and eat out on my birthday, but resented the fact that I never got my name on the morning announcements at school wishing all the children who had a birthday on that day a very happy birthday.
But I digress.

I went to class in the morning and was finished up by 11am. I decided to head home to a husband who was sick and so didn't go to work. We decided that despite the fact that the Hubs was sick, he would take me out to lunch at the Skyroom in the Wilkinson Student Center on campus. Think glorified buffet, because that's what it is. The food was great and I especially loved the chocolate cheesecake I had for dessert, despite the fact that when I got it the whole platter of cheesecake tipped off its pedestal while getting a mere slice for myself. I had to use my already klutzy skills to balance the platter and try to get it back on the pedestal, all the while trying to look inconspicuous and not put my fingers all over the other so far untouched 12 slices of chocolate cheesecake. In my defense, who doesn't anchor a platter on a pedestal when they know hungry birthday girls are going to want cheesecake but don't have the coordination to not bump it off.


Ahh cheesecake. So good, but I almost met my demise with you. Alex saw the whole ordeal and I was so embarrassed that when I sat down I just ate the cheesecake right away without meeting his eye. But I eventually gave in and we both laughed and I agreed to have a picture taken of this infamous cheesecake, despite it being already eaten.

I then lazed around the whole afternoon and watched movies. There was no talk of homework for me, which was a nice change. Alex then had to go to campus for his evening class which could not be skipped as he has an assignment due, so I was left to get all prettied up for our dinner later that night.


I always feel silly for posting pictures of only myself. And especially pictures that resemble thirteen year old's Facebook profile pics complete with the whole cell phone camera in the mirror and posing. But, Alex was not home and I has finally mastered the whole Taylor Swift curls that needed to be captured.

I then picked Alex up from class and he drove me to a surprise dinner at Tepanyaki, a Japanese Steakhouse. It was a blast. The food was amazing, our chef was entertaining to watch as he made the food right in front of our eyes, and the people we sat with at our communal table were great to chat with.



When they brought us our soup, we were definitely confused. Two bowls, and the only utensils they had given us was a fork? It was then that we realized that you sip the soup right out of the cups!

We then ended the night by Alex quickly swinging by a friend's place to pick up the presents he had gotten me as our house has no where to hide presents from girls that love birthdays. Earlier in the day he had put out our little birthday cupcake. This was the first time we had used it, as I had gotten it for Christmas from my mom. The idea is that on the day of someone's birthday you put out this little cupcake somewhere in the house (hiding it no less where girls who love birthdays will be sure to find it) and inside put something to represent the gift that you were going to give that person. Alex had put in a program from Church the previous Sunday, and it took some creative thinking on my part to realize that he had gotten me a new set of scriptures!



The cute little ceramic cupcake that held the clue of what I was getting for my birthday!



The other part of my present was this....


Alex had given me the first book in the Hunger Games for Valentine's (which I read in a single 6 hour time period . . . let's just say the book was awesome) and so he gave me the remaining books in the trilogy, Cadbury Mini Eggs (because they are my absolute favorite treat), a very cute card that sang to me, and Root Beer in the spirit of turning 21.

We then snuggled up and went to bed. All in all, it was a great birthday. Let's hope that this year brings as many good times and fond memories as year's previously!

And hopefully this year I can write more on this blog. And hopefully in close time proximity as when the events that were blogged about actually took place. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment