April 30, 2012

Letters from the Navajo Nation (#1)

Well, I have officially been in the Navajo Nation for 5 days now. I am definitely learning a lot about the Navajo people and the culture. Here is what I have been up to:
  • Our first day involved driving down, and that was a relatively normal experience except for the huge dust storm that kicked up. That is one thing I will never get used to down here-all the red dust! We also made a pit stop to Four Corners. Let's just say that if my future kids ever want to visit there I will not be the one leading that expedition. It was the most anti-climatic thing ever. It also might not have helped that the dust storm was approaching and the place was deserted of vendors and tourists alike.
  • On Friday we got a tour of the hospital, where we will be doing our clinicals while we are here. It is a 60 bed facility so is pretty small. One thing that I noticed was that the staff was very welcoming and from the sounds of it they view us like employees which is awesome.
  • We also went to the Flea Market for lunch that day. I got the "Dumpling Stew." Enough said.
  •  On Saturday morning part of our group (there are 10 of us nursing students total), went for a hike to Canyon De Chelly. We went with a group of about 16 people led by a Navajo guide, who had to be with us due to Navajo tradition and belief. The Canyon was absolutely breathtaking, and in total we went 800 ft into the Canyon and walked 4 miles. We saw some ancient ruins as well on the hike from afar, which was pretty neat.
  •  In the afternoon we made our way to the Hubble Museum and Trading Post, which has significance in Navajo history as it helped to rebuild the economy after the Long Walk. We took a walk through the Hubble House (which contained all the original decor), and then I bought the cutest baby moccasins from the Trading Post for future Aggen 'littuns. 
  • Another interesting experience at the Museum was having a guide talk to us about Navajo rugs and the symbolism that is in the patterns-way cool!
  • Sunday involved us going to Church, which was an amazing experience. Sacrament meeting involved only the Bishop speaking (typically in a LDS Church about 3 members from the congregation will speak on a Gospel topic) and he spoke in Navajo for about 15 minutes during that time. We also got the opportunity to introduce ourselves during Sunday School, and everyone in the whole congregation introduced themselves back! I feel very welcomed here.
  • Another small group of us drove around Sunday evening to the look-out spots throughout Canyon De Chelly. Incredible. What a beautiful world we truly live in.
  • And Monday has been my very first day. I went out with the Public Health Nurse and we got to work on a case where there had been a bacterial infection. We went to the family's home to interview them to try and figure out the source. The family lived in a small make-shift mobile home and there were around 10 people total living there. This was a very humbling experience.
  • Navajo children are seriously the cutest kids ever. My nurse took me to the Chapter House (like a Town Hall) and there was a HeadStart program next to it (basically a more intense preschool to better prepare under-privileged children  for school). We walk in and all these 4 year old suddenly become your best friend and call you "teacher" while trying to show you everything in their classroom. Sostinkingadorable.
  • I have also been Skyping Alex in every possible moment, which is to be expected. :) He is so supportive, and while I am enjoying my time here serving the Navajo people I cannot wait until I get to see him again in a few weeks!

-Tabi


    1 comment:

    1. Tabitha! What you are doing sounds so cool! I can't wait to hear more about your experiences there!

      ReplyDelete